Saturday, March 4, 2017

Making Progress in Our "Three Foot World"

I took this picture years ago. Looking at it today, I feel my husband and I were in that place on the water where the sun shines through the clouds.  There has been just enough light and hope to guide us and help us once again.

In May 2016 I wrote about our challenges with prosthetic aortic valves. (See "Imperfect Heart Valves" post, May 10, 2016).  Today, less than a year later, the concept of the three foot world shared by Navy SEAL Mark Owen is very helpful once again.

What is it like in our three foot world today? I marvel at all that is within our reach. Specially trained cardiac nurses, medicines and monitors, tests of all sorts.... Things I don't begin to truly appreciate. There is no place more detail oriented, more proactive. All are here to help my husband recover.

Even in this very special place, my husband is rather unusual. As one of the doctors said this morning, most people don't have even one heart surgery and now he has had four!

He is making good progress here, and all signs are that the clouds are being banished, many things being discontinued and taken away. They are no longer needed as he progresses toward moving to a "normal" hospital room soon!

The picture below, clear blue skies and calm seas, symbolizes our goal as we think of returning to our life again, a priceless gift of more time together.




No comments:

Post a Comment