Thursday, March 16, 2017

Surgery Number Four - The Longest Day

The heart is a Red Jasper stone,
 known as the "warrior stone"

 We had been asked to come to the hospital early, and we were right on time. The clock said 5 AM sharp as we signed in at the front desk. It was the beginning of the longest day, his fourth surgery. . . .

I was prepared for this day to be a long one, especially from that moment when we parted at the "Kissing Door". 


After 27 years, some memories of his first surgery day have faded, but some never will. I remember the shock I felt, going in to see him in "recovery" in the afternoon. Later, I was there when  he awakened from the anesthesia with a great commotion of alarms blaring at 6 pm that evening. As soon as he opened his eyes, we connected again, although he could not speak yet. This is the most wonderful moment for me, when I feel we communicate again - we don't need words!

Until this recent surgery, that first one had been the longest - the longest period of time when I felt separated from him. The elapsed time of the two surgeries that followed (aneurysm in 2001, replacement of mechanical aortic valve in 2006) were shorter, and he woke from anesthesia quickly.

Why so long?

Why was this this surgery going to take so long? There are two main reasons: 1) scar tissue and 2) the delicacy of my husband's own tissue. I have been convinced for some time that in our family as well as many others, BAV is a sign of something that involves the body's tissue more broadly, not just the aortic valve and aorta.

1) Scar Tissue
After a first heart surgery (and he had 3 prior!), the body forms scar tissue, not just on the outside of the chest where we can see it, but on the inside. This scarring has to be gently and carefully navigated.  "Rise of the Redo" , an article from Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals in the UK, describes the challenges.

2) Delicate Tissue
It was the next morning, in ICU, before my husband was even allowed to wake up and breathe on his own, that the surgeon told me about how very delicate his tissue is inside now. It had been 11 years since these same hands had last operated on my husband.  Now, his tissue generally is so much more fragile, only the gentlest touch would not damage him! In the wrong hands, this surgery would have been a disaster. 

Many BAVers, including my family members, have delicate tissue that manifests in various ways, and it seems to become more so with time.

A few weeks ago now, I heard Professor Mona Nemer describe her work with BAV mice families. I was thrilled to hear her say that the genetic defects in these mice, so like their human counter parts, are defects of the tissue. BAV has not been called a "connective" or other kind of tissue defect historically. Professor Nemer's work is vital to looking beyond a malformed aortic valve alone, and accurately characterizing those with BAV.

Progress, One Step at a Time 
The most lovely liaison nurse went into surgery periodically and then updated me on the progress through out the day. It was just after noon when she told me that there was lots of scar tissue, but the old valve was out! 

It was great progress, and I felt relief flow through me for a moment. Then I realized that he had no aortic valve at all now, until a new one was safely anchored in place! 

It took the remainder of the day to place a new valve, slowly rewarm him, and close the chest. The surgeon came out to tell me about the surgery around 6 pm.

I will write separately about what the surgeon said about the old valve. What was it really like? How well had the echocardiograms and CTA tests prior to surgery portrayed what was happening inside my husband's chest? Learning from this is extremely important, given that these tests, along with symptoms, help guide the decision to have surgery or to wait longer. I will just say now, the tests and symptoms were accurate enough for us understand that waiting was not an option for my husband, if he was to have this surgery at all. 

More Waiting 
Yes, surgery was over, but my husband would not be allowed to wake up as quickly as he had with his past surgeries. Before surgery, his right heart had been overworked by the failing bovine valve, and the long surgery time had also been hard on it. He was to remain sedated while his right heart recovered. Thankfully, his left heart, the main pumping chamber, was strong! 

It was a long night, thinking about that right heart. By 8 the next morning, I was told that his right heart had completely recovered during the night. Soon, he was awake and then breathing all on his own once again!

Family Friendly Care 
I was allowed to remain with my husband in ICU from that very first night, which was wonderful! This is generally not the case in ICU's. We would spend a total of four nights there. I remember that first night, looking at all the technology surrounding his bed, lights glowing in the darkened room. It had a surreal quality, the feeling of another world, another universe.

Not everyone may find that they can do this. All the machines, the tubes, and the sight of their loved one can be more than they can bear. This hospital is new, 'state of the art", and the nurses so supportive, that I was indeed comfortable there. I remember the warm blankets brought for me to  rest under, and the hot tea given to me at 3 am that first morning. These are beautiful touches of care, not to be forgotten, in the midst of all that technology. A century ago, those kind of comforts were all that could be done for the patients themselves - none of the drugs, the surgical and intensive care expertise and equipment, existed.

The Heart of a Warrior,
Healing Once Again,
27 Years after His First Battle
Post Surgery Day 16 - Recovery at Home

Today is the 16th day following the day of surgery. With the attentive care of his surgeon and a home health nurse coming in, I am comfortable caring for him as he recovers. We just need to stay vigilant lest any complications should develop. From our own family and others, we know how nasty some of these complications can be! 

Overall the hospital was a great place to be as long as he needed that level of care, but there is just no place like home for recovery! 

I am not a nurse, and I admired many of the things nurses did for him in the hospital. However, I do tell my dear husband that no one else could ever put so much love into his care!







1 comment: